Monday, August 15, 2016

Mike Hartfield with Thayer in Copacabana

THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES

"So I wanted to fill you in on some of the trip," Thayer wrote in an email that arrived last night.

Here are the highlights, with some info added from texts that have trickled in the past few days:

First, as was planned, he move out of the room he was renting for his three nights and is now staying in a hostel by Copacabana Beach.

"I have met so many great people," he writes, including two nurses -- one from British Colombia and the other from Australia. They met years ago and plan vacations together to attend the Olympics, and this in their third such trip.

"I've also so met English fans on the subway to Copacabana," he writes,."They are so proud of their country."

Here's more:
  
Lunch with two long jumpers:
Mike (left) and Tyrone Smith of Bermuda

"I met an Italian family that came for the love of the sport. So many Brazilians excited about  cheering for their country  I met an Israeli father and two younger children that offered to share a cab after one of the competitions. I met Cuban fans on the train."

"I met Andrew Evans, a US Discus thrower and his family on the way up to see Christ The Redeemer (which is a huge statute of Jesus Christ in Rio.)"

"I have had a crash course in the culture.  And I have tasted some great food.  At all tourist venues, athletic venues and train/subway stops I have seen security, police, military. So I have felt safe."

Has he had any problems?

"Once my Uber driver got lost so I decided to walk ... not the best neighborhood but I found some of the best brick oven pizza in the world  so it all worked out and I had a good walk to burn off the calories."

Here are some final thoughts (for now anyway):

"This has been a dream come true. I have always wanted to see Rio. I have dreamed of the Olympics from the time I started running. As a coach to see one of your athletes make it to the highest level in the world -- it is so humbling  I can't thank Mike enough for sharing this experience with me," 

No comments:

Post a Comment