Wednesday, August 17, 2016

FLYING HOME


From Thayer:

As I settle into my seat for an overnight flight back to the States, I am filled with so many memories: 

Like the noise of the crowd when Usain Bolt walked into the stadium. The overwhelming emotions watching Mike compete at the Olympics.  The stunning beauty of the ocean, mountains and forests.  The absolutely awe inspiring Christ the Redeemer statue.

This journey began many years ago when I met Mike in a Phys Ed class -- we just didn't know it at the time. Mike jumped at the Olympics 25 years to the day my athletic career ended.  I am fairly sure that was not a coincidence.

As Crosby, Stills and Nash sing, "Spirits are using me / Larger voices calling" in Southern Cross.

But I will tell you the journey is not over not by a long shot. To see the man Mike is today is, well, he is an incredible man but he is still Mike from Manchester.

I still see that smile that Felicia Falkowski (another PE  teacher would talk about whenever Mike’s name comes up.   I see the same young man that Charlie Vousden and Carl Bujaucius mentored in STARS (Mike specifically wanted to thank them).
And I see Paul Mondor and Larry Bowie --my high school coaches. These two men altered the direction of my life -- and I am standing on their shoulders. Although they retired from coaching many years ago they continue to coach through me.  Thanks, coaches -- you changed my life.

So here is what keeps coming back to me: Dream great dreams.  Surround yourself with people that have great dreams also. Take advantage of opportunities (Mike was a basketball player) and persevere.


"When all hope was gone in faith he hoped on" because life is going to come at you and you will fail and you will fall. But it is worth it. It's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment